Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Sports

So, most of you know that sports + Kin = a hot mess. I can't do sports. Sports of any kind are not for me. In Dominican the biggest sport is baseball which all of the boys play from the time they can walk. There's a man in Brisas named Jose Luis who coaches baseball and is involved with the school that VT works with.  A couple of the guys from the team will go watch and play baseball with the kids or Jose's team. Jose has a two year old son named Justin who is the cutest and most ornery little boy. Naturally I gravitate towards him and end up holding or playing with him. This afternoon I was holding Justin and Jose Luis points to Justin and says to me, you and him come to the baseball field. Before I knew it I was walking down the road with a group of Dominican guys towards the baseball diamond. Here is where the sports come in. I figured I would babysit Justin while watching from the dugout to enjoy the game. A mitt was shoved into my hands and next thing I knew I was catching pop ups thrown by Jose Luis. Slightly intimidating considering I was the only girl and I was surrounded by a bunch of experienced and extremely talented boys. Jose Luis began rounding up the boys and splitting them into teams, by this time I was taking a calming deep breath because I thought my ordeal with sports was over, until Jose Luis told me to join his team. Guys, let me tell you, I was stressing out. I have never played baseball before. Let that sink in. I have never played baseball before. I don't even watch baseball. Of course Jose Luis told me to bat first...that went just swimmingly. Actually, it could have been worse. I struck out once but the rest of my times on the plate I hit the ball but they were both caught so I never made a base. When it was our turn to take the field Jose Luis asked me to be catcher. Seriously man, give me a break. Jose Luis was the pitcher and multiple times he decided to throw fancy pitches like curve balls and whatever else you could possible do. Basically, I do not have a career in the MLB to look forward to but I also didn't make a complete fool of myself. After a month in DR I can finally say I've played Dominican baseball!

No comments:

Post a Comment