Sunday, September 4, 2016

Mixology

Most often the term "mixology" refers to the mixing of drinks, but this post is not about the latest and greatest cocktails I've mixed, but about my complex relationship with race. This story dates back to May 3rd, 1995. Why yes, that is my birthday! Now to introduce the complexity...my racial background isn't fully known. I am half white and that is all we know for certain. Rather than explaining that personal story to every stranger that asks, I often make up a story.

Much to your surprise, I get asked "what are you?", "what are you mixed with?", "what is your ethnicity?", "are you mixed?", "what race are you?" on a weekly basis. Normally, these types of questions don't bother me all too much. I'll answer and shrug off the ignorance. Today, however, it was a different story. I was going to a local pizza place to pick up a large order of pizza for a group event this evening. As I was walking an employee to my car with an arm full of pizza boxes she asks "what are your ethnicities?" and I responded with, "well I'm black and white" which is my go to answer. Rather than leaving it at that, she pointed out that "most of the world is going to look like you in the next couple decades" which is true, but also demeaning when she followed it up with "well you don't look like the rest of them, most guys like that don't look like you". Why she chose to imply my answer wasn't right or true is beyond me, moreover, she generalized an entire race of people. There is not a single defining characteristic for someone who is biracial. That is what makes it such a beautiful and unique identity. Do not think that all biracial men and women have "carmel" skin tones, with white facial features and black body types. We are as diverse as the stories and places we come from. Do not put us in a box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment