Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Craziness

Well, there are many things worth talking about tonight. But I'll start with this really cool guy named Sammy, who kindly and graciously put up with me for 3 weeks here in DR. Within a couple hours of meeting we were ditched at Provocone for dinner and had a discussion on humanity. Pretty much, Sammy is awesome and I'm going to make sure that we stay lifelong friends considering we spent so much time together in a place we both love. So sorry, you're stuck with me man! Thanks for amazing Sammy! (I know you'll read this eventually).
Second on the list to talk about is what the main event of this week looks like. WEDDING BELLS! I met a wonderful Dominican man and we are getting married...HA just kidding. On Thursday in Cotui nine couples from the town are tying the knot! NINE, NUEVO, NEUF! Wedding dresses, food, decorations, the couples are getting the whole deal. They never even considered the possibility of having a wedding ceremony or buying a wedding dress but thanks to the faithfullness of God these couples get to act on their love and partnership to get married! Thursday is going to be insane but I'm so honored to be a part of such a momentous and once in a lifetime experience.
Thirdly, last night was just a joyous night, well some of it was. The team from FBC is conducting a marriage seminar to prepare not only the couples getting married on Thursday but also others from the area. This meeting isn't until 7 pm so the men can come after work that means we are in Cotui from 11 am until 9-10 pm so the kids are with us ALL day long. Kids being kids, they misbehave and act out. So the young adults and I took the kids to the field that is next to the learning center to keep them entertained, occupied and quiet. Some kids were rapping, some kids were finger jousting, and others were climbing trees. We attempted to get a game started but the group of niƱos was distracted rather easily. As the sky darken and the rain started falling we all ended up holding hands, running around in a circle playing a mash up of ring around the rosey and tag. One person stood in the middle, closed their eyes and stuck out a hand, then the circle would run around and the person in the middle would say "boom" and whoever was in front of his or her hand when he or she said "boom" is out. The rain was coming down, everyone was holding hands and laughing and smiling. In those moments I thought to myself, how am I ever going to leave this? If these past three weeks have taught me anything it's that I am meant to live here. I will at some point in time live in Dominican Republic for a significant amount of time.
I have uno amiguito (a "little buddy")! His name is Shamil, he is 11, lives in Cotui and has been quite literally attached to my hip well in better words he has been draped across my shoulders constantly. He was hanging out with us as we played games the past couple nights. Once the adult meeting was over he and my other friend Nelson were walking with me back to the learning center and they started singing "McKinley, let's go" in their little dominican accents. My name sounds more like "Mackinney"when any kids in DR say it but still it's better than McKenzie. I often find myself in awe of the friendships I have created with kids all over this country. I don't speak Spanish so communication is awkward and rarely understood but simply saying hola, giving high fives or chasing kids is good enough to create lasting friendships.
I love this place and its people beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment